You can tell it's getting cold...

...when the cats snuggle together on the chair

But unfortunately, I can't upload pictures so you can't see them here. You'll have to go over to the Teapot to see them. While you're there you might want to read my post about the not-so-dreaded CHRISTMAS word!! 

Today our friends Jean and Clare will be pressing their cider for the year. We often go along to join in, but I'm not sure we'll go. It is a beautiful clear, blue day, but yesterday it was cold, grey and it p*ssed down with rain. And poor Mr FD and his Cyclo Chums were out picking grapes to raise money for the club. He went out at 7.30 am and came home at 7.15 pm, chilled to the bone, with an aching back and a very painful wrist. 
(This is not them. But it looks like conditions are just as bad here!!)

So I'm not sure Mr FD feels like going. But, maybe we will go. Maybe I'll go. Perhaps I should make a cake, just in case...

I've just made curried apple and leek soup

 1 Tbsp oil
3 medium leeks (chopped)
2 tsp curry powder
100g potatoes (peeled, diced)
2 tart apples (peeled, chopped)
yoghurt/ creme fraiche
600 ml veggie stock

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Stir in curry powder and cook 1 minute. Stir in leeks, potato and apples and cook 5 minutes. Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
  2. Zuzz. Season with salt and pepper and serve with a swirl of yogurt/ creme fraiche.
 We shall have it for lunch, with granary bread and cheese.

The rest of our meals are going like this:
SUNDAY:
Chicken with celeriac cakes 

MONDAY
not fasting, as I'm out for lunch with Alison & Cathy
On Thursday Cathy invited us round for aperos. As I'd not seen her or Alison for a chat for ages I wanted to go - but I was fasting! So what did I do? I almost cried off, thinking "I will want to drink wine", but deciding that friends were more important, I went along and drank mint tea and nibbled on a dry Ryvita,  while Cathy & Alison drank wine and ate yummy chilli rice cakes. I was very pleased with myself!!
Anyway: Lentil and quinoa burger (Click for recipe)  with houmous, tzatziki and chips.
(Mr FD will love this!!!) (There was just a tiny tad of sarcasm there!)


TUESDAY
(fasting for me, but maybe not Mr FD if he's cycling tomorrow)
 
Squash with red bean sauce (from my 5:2 recipe book)

WEDNESDAY:
Mr FD is on cooking duties tonight, as I'm out teaching until 7.00.
(Not quite the recipe, as mine uses spinach as well, plus cannelini beans instead of chickpeas, but you get the idea)
THURSDAY
Fasting again
Thai beef and pepper stir fry. With a few noodles. 
This is nearly the recipe, but cut down drastically on the oil, and the quantities, take out the sweet chilli sauce and add 2 tbsp of lime juice instead. I may add a bit of chopped red chilli as well, to bring some zing!

FRIDAY
This has been on the menu plan several times, but has never yet got cooked, for various reasons. We will see if it gets cooked this time!  I will probably put it on rosti instead of ciabatta bread though. 
  

**************
PomPom: We actually ended up having Friday's dinner on Wednesday - but it was good! In fact everything last week was tasty. I made a slightly bizarre lasagne on Friday with leftovers from Thursday plus some chorizo and pasta sauce. And chickpeas.. Not your traditional lasagne but still very tasty!

Frugal Mum: Ruby was uber irritating this week. The comments are a-twitter with Paul Hollywood fancying Ruby stories. I'm not sure, but she still ticks me off. Do you think that her lack of confidence is an act or a real thing? I suppose when I was a student I wasn't oozing with self confidence either. I want Kimberley or Beca to win.

Thistle Cove Farm: Butter is a weakness too...but I'm glad that I'm losing the equivalent of it from my stomach!! I don't buy it very often as Mr FD will insist on eating it!!!! 
 

Comments

Popular Posts