One Thousand Kilometres for One Thousand Euros

I'm committed to this now, having (a) announced it to the Cyclo Club today and (b) received some money towards my efforts. So let me tell you about it.

As you may have gathered, I'm not exactly keen on exercise (or anything, for that matter, that requires an effort!). However, being kinda porky, I know I need to do some exercise; but I know myself: I won't do it just for the sake of my health. I need to have a reason. The last time I did serious training was when I was doing a Cycle Challenge of 800 km in 3 days (that was relay. I didn't do it all myself) and I knew that I'd be letting people down if I didn't put in the effort.

So, this year I've set myself a challenge: to cycle 1,000 km in 6 months. It's a challenge for me - working out at between 40 and 50 km per week - but not so much of a challenge that it's not achievable (albeit with a bit of effort) But that wasn't enough. I needed a reason why I had to do it. Which is where the 1,000€ comes into it. I'm asking people to sponsor me to complete the 1,000 km, and the money raised will be going to this school, the Chisomo Community Trust school. This is a charity supported by a friend of ours, who spends half the year here in St Just, and the other half out in Zambia, helping build the school.

My 6 months starts on Tuesday 1st March and runs until Wednesday 31st August. To that end I've joined the Cyclos of St Just, so I'll be going out with them on Saturday afternoons (when will I watch the Corrie omnibus, she wails plaintively) plus trying to do at least one other ride per week. I'm terribly unfit, so I'm thinking that for the first couple of months this is going to be a real struggle, but it's something that I do want to do. If only for the school. And my pride, as I've told so many people I'm going to do it!!!

If you'd like to sponsor me I'd be very, very grateful. However, I am aware that to most of you I'm just some bod you know through t'internet. For all you know I might be planning to run off with all your money and go on a cruise around the Carribean. So, if you would like to give money to support the school but don't want to send it to me, then please, by all means, send it to the address given on the site, but please let me know how much you have given so I can publish it on my totaliser.
Go, Dormouse, go!!
Date Distance cycled Distance to go Money raised Money to go
27.02.11 0 1,000 20€ 980€
         
         

Comments

Popular Posts